182.9billion emails were sent every day in 2013 – The Radicati Group
B2B email has become so popular that decision-makers receive hundreds, if not thousands, of marketing emails every day. To save time, those that don’t immediately peak a prospect’s interest are dragged straight to ‘deleted items’ before they are opened.
The best way to prevent this scenario is with an intriguing and informative subject line. Most people think of it as just an afterthought, dedicating only the minimal amount of last-minute attention, making it dull and uninformative. The subject line actually represents a huge opportunity for you to make your email stand out in a crowded inbox.
Change your thinking
Think of the subject line as the most important part of your email. After all, it is the first, and potentially last thing a prospect will see.
If you don’t want your carefully constructed messaging to be binned before reading then use these subject line tips to boost your open rate:
1. Localisation - if context allows reference a city or place
2. Length - half of us receive email on a mobile device. Limit the word count to six and put the important stuff at the beginning - just in case a bit does get chopped off
3. Topic - one email, one message. Focus on the benefit to the user
Think outside the box
4. Controversy - shocking or humorous subject lines have as much chance of alienating prospects as they do enticing them. Only use with highly targeted campaigns
5. Single-word - keep it short and sweet. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” Leonardo da Vinci
6. Numbers and lists - the human brain loves lists and digits. Combine both and you’re onto a winner. For example, ‘7 subject line tips to boost your open rate’
7. The ‘From:’ box - clearly describe who you are, negating the need to do so in the subject line
The best email subject lines give the user all of the information they need in as little time as possible. Make sure you include enough information to intrigue a reader but no more.
To find out more about how using email can increase leads as part of a multi-channel marketing campaign…